The type of personal training I offer
I have been teaching and training people for many years (since 1994) and so have acquired a pretty wide variety of training modalities. Essentially we can break it down into the following categories, which don’t have to be separated at all though they can be;
- Bodybuilding style personal training where the emphasis is on improving body composition, building muscle and strength, or simply toning up.
- Martial arts and kickboxing style personal training, which can be approached as ‘workouts’ or as a real martial arts learning experience. Chinese martial arts, forms, self defence and sports style competition style training are things that can be focused on.
- Weight loss, lifestyle and health focussed training, where you are just trying to become fitter, healthier or improve specific health markers and attributes. This includes rehabilitation from illness or injury.
- Sports specific strength and conditioning training, where you are primarily concerned with improving performance for a particular sport or physical hobby.
- Relaxation and stress reduction training, where you can learn how to use tools like Qigong and Neigong as well as simple meditation techniques to reduce stress, anxiety and increase feelings of wellbeing.
My personal style of training people
I have a long background in practicing and teaching Chinese martial arts, weight training for various kinds as well as an academic education in sports science (MSc in Strength and Conditioning). So this all gives me a a certain style of training or way I tend to look at things as a trainer. From the training and teaching in Chinese martial arts, I recognise the genius of not only their methods of exercise and physical training, but also the profound naturalistic philosophies that underpin the physical training. There’s a real beauty and truth to these ideas and arts, which can enrich an exercise or healthy lifestyle routine. The fundamental idea is to really recognise and respect natural laws and wherever possible move with them. This applies to lifestyle, to exercise and more.
I like to encourage my people to learn about their training and to view sessions as a practice. Many of the things you learn can be practiced at home or in your own time. the idea is to get you to move towards a generally more active and healthy lifestyle outside of your sessions with me. I love training myself, and practice my arts daily for at least a couple of hours in the garden before heading in to work. I like to help people find true enjoyment in the various types of exercise and training that we carry out.
Where I practice with my clients
I teach most of my clients at a studio in Camden Town. We are very close to the tube station, making it easy to get to and from, and are completely private. It’s a nice space, with plenty of natural light and also a garden. It’s kitted out with all the kinds of ‘functional’ training equipment we could need. Kettlebells, Olympic weightlifting and barbell equipment, squat racks, a matted area for movement and martial arts, plyometric boxes and gymnastic rings, as well as a functional ‘rig’ for pull ups and dips and so on. I also visit some clients in their homes in and around London. I even train one student in her pub! So training can be done almost anywhere that is mutually convenient.
My rates are reasonable and vary depending on times, location and frequency of training sessions. The best thing is to get in touch and we can discuss options.
How you can get started
Simply drop me a message using the form below or give me a call and we can discuss your goals and see if I am the right personal trainer to help you achieve them.